Once again I have stumbled across a food which I USED to despise.
I know that word may sound harsh, but it is FACT. Also note I said USED to.
Oatmeal was NEVER a food I could bring myself to eat. I would try it every so often, but I just could not stomach it. It had NO appeal to me whatsoever.
Packed with soluble fiber and healthy carbohydrates, oatmeal has a number of key health benefits. From curbing appetite to reducing cholesterol, eating more oatmeal is a simple way to boost health.
CLICK HERE to read more about the health benefits of Oatmeal.
Thanks to my dear husband, I am now an oatmeal fanatic.
While traveling on vacation a couple of years ago, I actually tried oatmeal once again, in a hotel. (not willingly, but I did it)
Anytime we stayed in a hotel that had a breakfast bar, Frank would always grab me a plate, and bring it up to our room.
This was our first vacation since going plant-based, so Frank was expecting our options to be limited.
He came back with lots of fresh fruit, raisins, and handed me a disgusting looking bowl of oatmeal, with a side of maple syrup (with no high fructose corn syrup….isn’t he awesome?? He checked the label).
I looked at him, and he said I know what you are thinking, but just try it.
So I added the fresh fruit, maple syrup, and raisins to my oatmeal, and very hesitantly took a bite.
O to the M to the G!
I felt like I was in the 1970’s “Mikey Likes Life Cereal” commercial. Yes, I was born in the 70’s, don’t judge, lol.
For those that are not familiar with the commercial, take a peek at this:
She Likes It, was Frank’s response, lol.
Yep, you heard me. Not only did I like it, it was from a HOTEL, lol!!
Low and behold, I actually like oatmeal. Apparently by living a whole-foods, plant-based lifestyle, my taste buds had changed.
Woo to the Hoo!!
So there you have it…my Oatmeal story 🙂
I do realize that oatmeal is nothing new to everyone else, but it still astounds me that I LOVE it now.
There are so many ways you can eat oatmeal.
What I like to add to my oatmeal (not all at once, lol):
- fresh fruit
- thawed frozen fruit
- dried fruit
- small amount of chopped nuts
- chia seeds
- flax meal
- brown sugar
- maple syrup
- date syrup
- cocoa powder
- unsweetened, non-dairy chocolate chips
- We could be here all day, lol….
What do you like on your oatmeal?
Here is the oatmeal I had for breakfast today.
- One cup cooked oatmeal
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- 1 oz total chopped pecans/walnuts
- 2 apples chopped
- 4 dates chopped
- Couple dashes of ground cinnamon
- Follow directions to cook oatmeal.
- While oatmeal is cooking, chop apples, dates, and nuts.
- When oatmeals is done, stir in 1 tbsp of flax meal, while still in pan.
- Pour oatmeal into bowl, and add chopped apples, dates, and nuts.
- Add a couple dashes of ground cinnamon, and mix well.
- Feel free to make subs/add-ins..see notes.
- Also, the serving says 2. That is completely up to the person, because some days I can eat it all myself. Today I just so happened to fill up, and I shared my oatmeal with Frank.