Most of you have heard me go on and on about my kitchen gadget, the Instant Pot. If you are not sure what the heck I am referring to, CLICK HERE to read my post on this most fabulous kitchen appliance (and to get a discount if you decide you ever want this beautiful appliance in your kitchen too). I honestly do not know how I survived before I purchased this spectacular appliance. I am IN LOVE with it, no lie!! I even took it with us on vacation, lol. Hey! You would too, I just know it 🙂
Also, here is a video I found on the Instant Pot website that explains the unit as well.
Something I do every Sunday, is make my soup for the week. Of course, I make it using my lovely gadget. So today, I thought I would share my soup recipe with you. It honestly is not even a recipe, just stuff I throw in it weekly. It varies each week. Also keep in mind, you DO NOT need an Instant Pot to make it, but it sure the heck will make your life much easier. You can easily use a pot on the stove, crockpot, or your own pressure cooker.
So why do I make soup every week? Yes, that is 52 weeks (in a year, correct?). YES…I even eat soup in the summer!! I drive home on my lunch hour to let my four doggies out, and I normally have about 20 minutes to eat. I need something that is quick, and filling. Most of you also know, that I love to eat. I eat my husband under the table most nights, just ask. Right, Frank?? This soup is not only filling, but tasty, and has everything that a PBJ needs to thrive. Beans, legumes, whole grains, leafy greens and veggies (which include those healthy starches).
I am naming this recipe, Veggie Soup Magic, because I add different items each week, and vary the seasonings and such. The “Magic” part comes from the Instant Pot. In my opinion, they should have named it the Magic Pot. NOTE: This is not a recipe that is set in stone, it can be changed to suit your tastes buds. I will try and add in some suggestions at the bottom of the recipe. Oh, and by the way…I cannot capture the aroma that takes place while it cooks….sorry. I am sniffing in the amazingness as I type this post. Frank is always saying, “MAN, that smells amazing”. Even though I make this soup every week, it never fails that he always says, “This tastes even better than the last one. How is that possible?” I hope you enjoy this soup, as much as we do. So here we go….PBJ’s FIRST RECIPE!!
VEGGIE SOUP MAGIC
I have the Model IP-LUX60, which is the 6.33 quart. This recipe will reach the very top line of the liner. Which I believe is around 14 cups. Go with the flow, and make your own “Magic”.
Again, use whatever beans you wish, seasonings you wish, etc…I change this recipe every week. This is what I made tonight.
Veggie Soup Magic
The great thing about this soup…it is NOT set in stone. Substitutions galore!! The recipe that follows is a GREAT way to get many of your essential vitamins us PBJ’s need. It is also a great source of protein, as well as a hearty meal. This soup should definitely keep you full for awhile. ~Enjoy
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth Note: You can buy store bought, or make your own. I save my leftover veggie scraps through the week, and store them in a large ziplock back in the freezer. Once the bag is full, I put the veggie sraps in a big pot, and cover with water. If you like, you can add whatever seasonings you wish (or none), and let simmer on stove till your desired “brothness” (is that a word?? lol). FREE VEGGIE BROTH!! (and healthier) I then store any excess broth that I might need, in the freezer. You with me on this?
- 15 oz Can Kidney Beans (rinsed and drained)
- 15 oz Can Hot Chili Beans (do not rinse)
- 14.5oz Can Diced Tomatoes (I used no-added salt can)
- 14.5oz Can Tomato Sauce (our store does not have salt-free)
- 12 oz Frozen Bag of Chopped Spinach (It does not really matter what “GREEN” you add, just make sure to add a green. If you prefer to use fresh greens, just add to the soup, after it is done cooking. It only takes a couple minutes of hot soup to “wilt” the greens. Just EAT YOUR GREENS!! Soup is a great way to get them into your diet.
- 12oz Frozen Bag of Italian Style Vegetables (we get ours from Kroger)
- 12 oz Frozen Bag of Mexican Style Vegetables (we get ours from Kroger)
- 4 to 8oz Sliced Mushrooms (chop as small or as large as you like) Note: I hated mushrooms when first started eating “Plant’Based”, so I chopped my mushrooms so small you couldn’t even taste them. NOW, I love mushrooms, so I cut them into larger pieces, so I get a “meatier” taste.
- 1 large Sweet Potato (use any potato your heart desires)
- 1 Onion ~Chop as big or small as you prefer
- 3 to 5 Garlic Cloves ~Chop Garlic Cloves (I used 5, I love garlic)
- 3 Tbsp Chili Powder (I like my soup with more of a chili taste)
- 1/2 Tbsp Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder (I like my soup spicy)
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp Cayenne Powder (I like my nose to run)
- 2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 2 tsp Dried Basil
- 1/2 Tbsp Garlic Powder (like I said, lol)
- Bay Leaf ~Optional **Remove Bay Leaf when soup is done
If using the fabulous Instant Pot (like I did), here is what you have left to do
- Put all the ingredients in the Instant Pot
- Put lid on, and secure in place
- Press the Manual Button, and reduce time to 6 minutes, and let the Instant Pot do the rest. (Normally takes about 30 minutes to build up pressure, then the 6 minutes to cook at pressure)
- When Instant Pot beeps, wait until pressure naturally reduces to open lid. (Normally takes about 20-25 minutes to naturally reduce pressure)
- Eat and enjoy!
- If you do not have an Instant Pot, do not fret!! You can use a crockpot, or cook on the stove in a large pot. Just throw all the ingredients in, and cook until done. I like to keep things simple.
- Add Ins/Substitutes: You might need to add more water, so it is not so “tomatoey”. For a “meatier version”, add Bulgur, TVP (textured vegetable protein) **I added two handfuls to my soup**, or Lentils. Many times, I use leftover veggies (zucchini, bell peppers, squash etc…). Spices can be changed as well….GET CRAZY!!
- Oh!!!…..this soup is DYNAMITE over a baked potato or steamed rice.
CLICK HERE to save/print recipe
Ok, so Frank just said: “Are you done taking pictures, so I can eat this?” LOL
Want to order your own Instant Pot, and receive a generous discount, AND FREE shipping? CLICK HERE
WOULD LOVE to receive feedback on this recipe. You will NOT hurt my feelings if you do not like it, or have other suggestions. I would LOVE feedback!
We would LOVE for you to connect with us on Twitter @laurayblack, Pinterest, Instagram @plantbasedjunkies, or Snapchat @pbjunkies. Feel free to use hashtag #plantbasedjunkies, so we can stay connected.